Pointing out Marvel Studios’ lack of on-screen diversity is nowhere near a new phenomenon. As ComicsAlliance’s Andrew Wheeler has memorably pointed out, “If Marvel makes Thor 3 [as its first 2017 release], it will have made ten movies headlined by blond white men named Chris before it makes one movie headlined by someone who isn’t even white.” While not besmirching the talent or integrity of Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth and Chris Pratt, that’s taking lack of diversity to admirably comic levels.
Additionally, the studio’s lack of a movie with a female lead — specifically, a Black Widow feature starring Scarlett Johansson, although fans would also accept a Captain Marvel movie, or even a Squirrel Girl one by this point — has been commented on to such an extent that Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige recently weighed in, saying that he “very much believe[s] in doing it” in concept. “I hope we do it sooner rather than later,” he added at the time, while simultaneously pointing out that Marvel’s ongoing successful franchises make finding slots for new characters and concepts challenging.
That is somewhat of a smokescreen, in terms of excuses. As this summer’s Guardians of the Galaxy shows, Marvel has no problem introducing new characters and concepts — in fact, we’re due to have one per year for the next couple of years, with Ant-Man coming next year and Doctor Strange landing in 2016. In both of those cases, however, Marvel is sticking closely to white male leads. (Admittedly, the lead role in Doctor Strange is not cast, and it’s not impossible that Marvel will choose to break with tradition and cast a non-white male as its Sorcerer Supreme — but, given some of the actors rumored to have been considered for the role, that doesn’t look likely.)
Of course, there’s still an obvious opportunity for Marvel to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat on the subject of diversity in casting. Both Wonder Woman and Sony’s mystery Spider-Man project are scheduled (in the latter case, rumored) for 2017 release, and Marvel has an unnamed project scheduled for release May 5 of that year — almost two months before the June 23 bow for Wonder Woman. What if it snuck in a female-led movie just under the wire in order to be “first”?
Similarly, Aquaman isn’t due until July 2018, and there are three unknown Marvel projects scheduled before then. Black Panther, Falcon or even an upgrade from Netflix to theaters for Luke Cage could help Marvel become the first studio to put a superhero of color on the big screen since 2008’s Hancock — if it wanted to.
That, ultimately, is what this comes down to: what Marvel wants to do. As arguably the most successful movie studio around these days, and one that has demonstrated no problem in convincing mainstream audiences to accept a dancing tree and a talking raccoon as heroes, it’s not a question of whether Marvel could make a movie with a woman or person of color in the lead role, or even could make such a movie a hit. It’s a question of whether that’s something that the studio is interested in doing. Whenever Marvel announces its next projects — something which may be sooner than later, given this week’s Warner Bros. schedule announcement — we’ll get the answer to that question."
The Hollywood Reporter, “Warner Bros. and DC Expose Marvel’s Achilles Heel: Diversity"
If u have a crush on me, tell me and then never talk to me again. Cause it makes me anxious but it’d be good for my ego
Sorry I didn’t see you there john I was to busy hmmm
blocking out the haters
OKAY I’M FINALLY DOING THIS. this is off the top of my head and in no particular order (despite the numeration):
- the time mindy requested a homemade birthday card from “keo” AND KEO ACTUALLY DELIVERS ON THE REQUEST A MONTH LATER. heart stickers and all.
- the fact that #1 happened literally hours after MINDY AND BJ LITERALLY BECAME HARRY AND SALLY.
- "ALL I DID IN HIGH SCHOOL WAS HOMEWORK WHILE YOU, LIKE, DATED!" "YOU THINK I GOT A DATING SCHOLARSHIP TO A TOP COLLEGE?! HOMEWORK WAS INVOLVED, BABE"
- mindy gets her own line in the acknowledgements of bj’s book, one more thing, right after he acknowledged his entire family.
- in the least chill move of the century, bj casts mindy as “the girl of his dreams” in the book trailer for one more thing. COOL.
- mindy reads the part of every (non-robotic) love interest in the one more thing audiobook, including an entire love story that is a direct counterpart to a story that bj reads. ONE MORE THING HAS GIVEN US SO MUCH.
- THE INFAMOUS “I LOVE YOU, MINDY” PHONE CALL IN WHICH MINDY DOES NOT STOP SMILING EVER.
- bj novak cries during sex, pass it on
- actual visual proof that mindy and bj text + tweet while standing directly in each other’s personal space (s/o to cathy from the office)
- THE HOWARD STERN INTERVIEW HEARD ‘ROUND THE WORLD. mindy admits bj was the love of her life, would’ve married him if he’d asked. moment of silence in commemoration of this interview.
- moment of silence over. bj’s mom calls him up after the stern interview to tell him to GET HIS FUCKING LIFE TOGETHER. another moment of silence, pls.
- i once had a fever dream where mindy and bj reunited after bj was touring around europe for like a million years and they went on a date where they gazed at the supermoon on a malibu beach. CRAZY DREAM, AMIRITE???
- i’m starting to stretch the definition of ‘moments’ here but that whole thing where mindy wrote a two-episode arc for bj on her show about two best friends who don’t realize that they’ve been in love all along! can’t even make this stuff up!!!
- july 24 - the day mindy psyched us all up because there was a SPECIAL GUEST coming to work that day!!! is it rhea perlman, the upcoming guest star??? NO, IT’S BJ NOVAK, THAT ONE GUY THAT SHE SEES LITERALLY EVERY DAY OF HER LIFE.
- suddenly, out of the blue: “you are the girl of my memes." what??? why???? how???????
- that ongoing thing where mindy explains that she can’t write a chapter on bj in her books ever, because their story isn’t over yet and maybe she should write a song about him instead!
- hey mindy kaling! what’s your favourite place in the world? let me guess - the empire state building, right? SORRY, WHAT, IT’S BJ NOVAK’S DECK?????
- bj KEEPS PROPOSING….. the idea that he and mindy should write a book together, much like abelard and heloise, two french philosophers known for their tragic love story.
- look out mindy, ‘cause bj’s fictional little sister is gonna be the WICKEST AUNT TO YOUR KIDS
- happy birthday, rude boy. can you get it up?